Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Armoured Panzer Grenadiers


Based on experiences at Day of Days, and using my gepanzerte at the World's last year, I've decided to take a serious look at my armoured panzer grenadiers. One weakness Ian and I had at the weekend was a total lack of smoke capabilities and our pak 38s struggling to keep up with our infantry- no artillery support was just silly, it really made us struggle to 
make headway. Twin armoured PG forces wuold have been far more sensible. 
.
That has led me to re-assess my own armoured infantry for Southcon- as a back up to the Staghound force for if I go axis- and I want to include the heavy platoon as under the new rules it will be far more useful. 

 I have been looking at the force I used last year and last night painted up a heavy platoon but am unhappy with it so am stripping them back completely and starting again (oven cleaner being a wonder material for this! Simply spray on oven cleaner, leave five minutes and take off with an old toothpaste, takes less than a minute, then I wash in detergent).

Anyway in 3E I am considering adding some Quad AA half tracks (at the expense of my recon) as they can now move and fire at half rate  (RoF 3/6) so and will be far more handy. 

  Usually I run some panzer MkIIL/Ns as support with Marders but am considering some stugs instead- the front armour of Ian's being handy last weekend, and with the Quad's i havve plenty of anti-infantry options. 
 
 1
Armoured PGs + Stugs

2x
HQ
70
7x
Armoured PGs
230
7x
Armoured PGs
230
2x
251/9 (7.5cm) half tracks
125
3x
Marder II
270
2x
Stugs
340
3x
Nebelwerfers
115
2x
Quad AA (armoured)
120


1500
As you can see there are no panzerknackers- unheard of I know!  The other option I am looking at replaces the Quad AA and adds some 8cm mortars instead.

Craig







3 comments:

  1. Hi Craig, should work well - SPAT is much better than the towed but I am determined to give it a try. I like the space taking the Nebs over the Panzerwerfers creates for that kind of thing.

    I think the main thing though is for all of us to emulate you example and build a heap of roads in our chosen terrain scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your PG reports- I've always enjoyed using them, and seem to have become more of a mech player than an infantry one these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oven cleaner? I might try that on my WW2 armour from eBay splurges. Most are pretty terrible paint jobs and I was wondering how to start again...

    ReplyDelete